"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Friday, June 24, 2011

Two For The Record Books!

Today was a day of firsts at our house!  I'm warning you this might seem trivial to you, but the possibilities seem endless to me.

First, the weather was pretty crummy here today so playing outside wasn't exactly an inviting option.  Early this morning we settled in for a bit of a movie marathon, but the longer I sat here the more I realized I needed to get off my butt and get to cleaning.  I started in the kitchen hoping that I wouldn't disturb the girls since they were actually sitting quiet and content in the living room.  Before I knew it the kitchen was beginning to look spic-and-span, but in my cleaning-focused-haze (otherwise known as a chemical cleaner high) I hadn't even noticed that the movie had ended and the girls had gone upstairs.  Okay, I had noticed but only vaguely because they were quiet.  I know what you are thinking - quiet means trouble.  I quickly dashed upstairs to peek on them and....GASP!  They were actually, truly playing with each other and NICELY too! What? Really?  Yes, they played for almost an hour just the two of them.  I continued to clean in peace and all the while I could hear them "planning for a party" in their bedrooms.  So sweet listening to them chatting and "decorating" for the big event.  They hung bracelets and necklaces on door and furniture knobs.  They laid blankets out on the floor as fancy carpets.  So cute!

As a general rule Sophie and Molly get along quite well, but until today I can't remember them actually engaging each other in play especially of the imaginary sort.  I realized that Molly is growing up so quickly and that Sophie has become a patient, kind big sister.  I also realized that my time to get non-mommy things done is increasing.  Can you imagine the possibilities of an uninterrupted hour while they play happily?  The possibilities are endless!

The second big first at our house was an adult evening out with a hired teenage babysitter at home.  Usually our parents and siblings watch the girls if we need a babysitter on evenings or weekends, but tonight we were headed to an adult-only family celebration which meant we needed to make different arrangements.  So, we asked a neighbourhood teen we know if she would babysit.  She agreed happily (which I thought was crazy) and spent this evening with Molly and Sophie.  Everything went off without a hitch!  The girls behaved beautifully, everyone had fun, the girls went to bed on time and all without having to be packed up for a sleepover at their grandparents.  Better yet, the sitter even said she would come again!

What?  Full stop!  Did you hear that? This teenage girl says she will babysit our girls whenever we want!  Again, imagine the possibilities!  I see movie dates, Starbucks dates, dinners out and more.  I could go to the gym for an hour in the evening when JD works, I could visit with my girlfriends, a haircut, a pedicure....endless possibilities.  (Only dilemma...what do you pay a teenage babysitter these days?)

I know these are two small things, but they mean so much when it comes to the balance of time.  I see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I can see a future with more balance, more fun for everyone!  Babies are wonderful, but there is something to be said for kids growing up!

15 comments:

  1. Wow - what a wonderful day!
    Here's hoping to many more of those in the future:)
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - I have two teens 13 and 15 and it is great when they get along and give me more time to do what I need to do. However, I miss the youngster that used to be them. It's awesome you found a babysitter. Here in California, we pay them $10 an hour! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super congrats for finding a teenage girl to help! Sounds like one of those "win-win" scenarios that goes such a long way toward saving your sanity!

    ~RJ, the Hope Coach
    http://jrrsehopecoaching.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so cute to see them playing like that together. Now watching my granddaughters it gives me the same joy! Enjoy your moments of freedom!
    Following you from VoiceBoks!~Lisa
    I am all a twitter about life
    Find Me on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and savor these ME times :) Following via VoiceBoks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whohooooo! Freedom!!!!! How awesome to have a sitter you can rely on. And that shift to NICE play? Pure heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day! I have two little ones and it is such a treat to hear them "playing" together! Oh and my husband and I were just talking about getting our first real babysitter, but haven't found one...hopefully my quest will end as well as yours did.

    Via VoiceBoks weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when my kids play well together! In my house, silence usually means someone is playing video games outside their "screen time." Some days I want to throw the computer off the deck!
    I remember when I started leaving them home for a few minutes to go to the store. It's quite a feeling! Now I'm getting ready to watch my oldest start driving. Not sure I like THAT much freedom, lol!
    I'm visiting from VoiceBoks. Thanks for visiting my blog today!
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post--I can totally relate! My kids are 3 and almost 2 and if they played quietly without destroying anything for a whole hour I think the shock would kill me. But like you I see a light at the end of the tunnel when they do play nicely for a little while and give me the chance to get a few minutes of work in. I know I'll miss these days because they're growing so fast, but right now it's hard not to get overwhelmed with the to-do list that never gets done.

    Enjoying your blog, visiting from voiceBoks! :)
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I wish my son had a sibling to play with, even if they were fighting at least they could entertain each other. But it's just not in the cards. I'm glad to hear you got a night out, and found an awesome teenager to watch your kids in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was truly delightful! When my kids are quiet, look out! Other than those surprising moments they do well with nannies and play well together as much as possible. Visiting from VB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must be something in the air today - my girls played together for hours today (and that never happens). It's so great to have them getting along and playing =)

    Congrats on finding a babysitter!

    Christina

    P.S. Visiting from voiceBoks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love when the kids are playing together, peacefully! It make life sublime! I also loved your enthusiasm with the new possibilities this opens up for you. I'm still waiting for that!

    Also, "Congratulations" on teaching your kids to respect each other. (Granted, there are going to be moments when that does not happen,) but there are so many siblings I hear of that just fight and it is refreshing to hear of another Mom that has kids that love each other and enjoy being together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I remember the day we found a trusted babysitter just down the street. Bringing back date night is a very good thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Everyone -

    I definitely looking forward to some increased freedom! My lovely girls managed to spend an hour together on Saturday play nicely too....they finally seem to be the right age to enjoy other...I assume in another year they will be fighting! ;-)

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete