"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Monday, June 27, 2011

In a Funk

It's Monday again, it comes every week and every week I wish it could be Friday already.  Today I'm feeling especially 'blah'.  We had a busy weekend with lots of special events and I noticed that it didn't matter what we were celebrating guests spent their time complaining.  Don't get me wrong here I can complain with the best of them, but somehow a celebration doesn't seem like the time or place to be airing one's woes.

Adding to me frustration was the topics under attack.  I listened to various people complain about a 7-night tropical vacation, requiring a dress to be taken in two sizes due to weight loss, getting a job, their home, the menu for the celebratory meal, a gift and much more.  Most of the more mundane complaints I can handle - the weather, a personality conflict, the cost of groceries, whatever - but a vacation, weight loss, a job, a FREE meal, a FREE gift????  Really, these are the worst things going on in your life.  I would give almost anything to have a 2-night tropical vacation, require a dress to be taken in an inch, to have even a job interview, and guess what I enjoyed every bite of my meal that was being served to celebrate someone else's success!

This whole weekend of whining really put me in a funk.  I woke up yesterday (and again today) feeling miserable, grouchy and thinking that I would taken of those complaints over some of my own.  We are all taught now to be politically correct and to think before we speak, but why don't we think before we bemoan our wonderful lives?  Why is it so hard to appreciate a vacation because there are bugs or to celebrate a healthy weight loss if it means be inconvenienced by an extra trip to the tailor?  When we are on the other side, how come we don't realize the grass is already greener?  It makes me sad and frustrated  that things I'm working so hard for are taken for granted by others.  However, the more important lesson is that for every complaint I make there is someone in the world wishing they had what I have.  Someone wishing for a safe home, a happy family, a big grocery bill, clean clothes, safe drinking water and all the simply things in life that I take for granted.  So, the only thing left to do is shake it off, work harder for the things I want in life and revel in all the things I already have!

7 comments:

  1. I have come to belive that people who bemoan their lives "problems" really feel guilty and can not enjoy the good that is given them, and for that I feel really sorry for them. I love my life, is it perfect,no, but it is mine. I also really belive that if something in my life is not working or I want something I don't have I have the power to change it. But, I find it hard sometimes to feel good when someone is working so hard to make me feel bad!!! Glad they are gone!!! Wishing you a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I'd been complaining cause my only 3 year old SUV died at a gas station in 112 degree weather cause it needed a new battery. Shame on me.

    What's with these people? To many "glass is half empty" folks out there. Gotta figure there's other stuff happening and they can't pull it together. Sheesh!

    You keep your chin up and stay strong mama. You'll get your trip and skimpy dress soon :)
    Sharon from voiceBoks
    http://sharon-moms-madhouse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. See....a broken down NEW car in ridiculous heat...justified! Just sad that we've become a such a frivolous, vain society that trips, dresses, new jobs and free stuff are worth complaining about!

    Thanks for the kind words!
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just watching the news with our horrible economic state here in the US, and how we're Greece next, and feeling a little stressed with my new small business, etc., and came to your blog, and saw you're from Canada. I thought to myself, those Canadians are doing pretty well comparatively speaking! I then read your post, and it probably is true, that if Canadians are complaining about things like that, life is good there!! Send some good vibrations to the South, would ya! Cheers from VoiceBoks:)
    Courtney
    http://www.mommyladyclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The economy is better here than in the US, but still shaky...that's sort of why I don't get these complaints. We should all be counting our blessings. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wrote a little about this but I started with how the stresses I have right now are little and we have much to be grateful for, and I ended the same way. Sometimes I think we just need to get it out, but you are right about being mindful of what we say. I try to write through my frustrations and keep my mind in the moment when with others. It's not always easy (or possible!), but I ultimately feel better when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm a new follower from voiceBoks. What a great message and reminder to be thankful for what we've been blessed with. Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete