"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Too Short to Wait.


"Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite.  Or waiting around for Friday night or waiting perhaps for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil or a better break or a string of pearls or a pair of pants or a wig with curls or another chance.  
Everyone is just waiting."
~Dr. Seuss
After a busy day with the girls I was fully prepared to rant about my child(ren)'s ungrateful attitude for all the special things we do together, but then I found out that a childhood friend's mother died yesterday and I remembered.  

I remembered that life is short and unexpected.  I remembered that my girls are little and what they don't appreciate now they will appreciate later.  I remembered that sometimes the fun things we do are for me to enjoy them and not for them to appreciate me.    I remembered that they smiled and giggled all afternoon.   I remembered that the best any mom, any parent, can do is give their child wonderful memories  that help them to move forward in life as a kind, empathetic and strong individual.  Life is too short and sweet to wait for my children to express their gratitude.  As long as they smile, hug and laugh that is enough for me!
I hope when our time together is done they will remember this:  
"Don't cry because it is over.  Smile because it happened."~Dr. Seuss

To C:  I don't know if you are still checking in, but I'm thinking of you.




6 comments:

  1. Thanks Sadie~ I needed that today!! What I didn't need were the tears!! lol
    Every word is so true though... I love your closing quote..
    I had no clue we live in the same city!! Do you know me??? LOL!!! That sucks,, you're under an alias but I'm not, so you have a one up on me!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something that touches too close to home as both a mother and daughter when you hear about these things. A moment to pause, reflect and hold back the vent is sometimes needed. (I still need a good vent sometimes too though!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Motherhood is such a strang job because it can seem like all we do is give and give and not get anything in return. It is so important to remember to see and feel what we are really reciving. I love how you were "paid" in laughter and smiles and I love how you realized it. Thanks for the reminder, I too can forget to really look at what I'm getting not just what I'm giving. I found you on VoiceBoks and am so glad I did. I look foward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quote! That's beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
    New follower from Voiceboks!
    Ro :)
    Have YOU had your Mom-ME Moment today?
    http://www.MommyMindSpa.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post! You have a great blog! I am visiting from voiceBoks! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely... it always takes a lot of strength to look past our own tears, fears and frustrations to remember the bigger picture:)
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kristina :)

    ReplyDelete