"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Beep, Beep!

Molly, rather endearingly, recently started saying, "Beep, beep!" instead of "Excuse me" in order to pass by.  Mostly she says it at home when trying to navigate her dolly's stroller around the living room.  Sophie stretched out on the floor and blocking her path would elicit a "Beep, beep!"  Blocks dumped in a heaping pile on the floor would elicit a "Beep, beep!"  Standing in the middle of  the hall when she wants past would elicit a "Beep, beep!"  We thought it was pretty cute and haven't discouraged her because we were pleased that she is finding her own way to communicate.

Then on Sunday we went to a clothing store to get some items for JD.  In a moment of laziness we decided not to put Molly in the stroller thinking we were going to be quick and she would enjoy being able to walk around like a big girl.  We quickly realized the mistake we had made as we entered the unusually busy store and Molly bee-lined through the racks of clothing yelling, "Beep, beep!" as she encountered each and every customer.  Of course most people smiled and stepped back as I hastily uttered "Excuse us.  Sorry!" as politely as I could while in hot pursuit of a 21-month-old on the loose.  I'm sure we looked exactly like the chaotic family train that we all shake our heads over while thinking to ourselves does that parent have no control - Molly buzzing with great speed through the racks and around corners, me in pursuit mumbling "Sorry, excuse us, sorry," and Sophie skipping behind me delighted at the fun of ripping through the store without a care in the world.  (JD at this point is oblivious as he is deeply, engaged in making his choice of new socks and underwear.  Or perhaps, he is just pretending to be completely engrossed in the washing instructions so that no one thinks he belongs with us.  And yes, if the tables were turned I would do exactly the same thing!  Don't deny that you would and have done it too!)

Of course my efforts to restrain Molly and maintain some semblance of control and order repeatedly ended in hollers of "No Mom-meeee!" (Molly's other current favourite phrase.)  Increasing my annoyance was Sophie's look of glee at knowing that her sister who was lying on her back, wiggling like a worm and yelling at me was undoubtedly in a world of trouble.   My brain was on overload as the urgent need to exit the store mounted:  Quick, fast, speed is of the essence!  JD get what you need and let's go!  No time to debate, pick the new socks and let's get out of here.  NOW!  Who cares if they boxers or briefs, just get something that fits and RUN!

It isn't that we haven't learned this lesson before - strollers are a must or better yet kids and one parent must stay home - but we always hold out hope that this shopping trip will be the one.  The one when are children stop acting like children and act like reasonable adults!  Give your head a shake.....they ARE children!

Okay, so no going back.  No altering the shopping trip or making the better choice of using the stroller, but at the very least maybe I could teach Molly to say, "Excuse me!"  After all manners are more important than being cute.  The next opportunity I had I said to Molly, "Can you say excuse me?  Say, excuse me to Sophie."  Nope, no excuse me.  That's okay because I will just keep trying and eventually she will give it a try.  Fast forward 24 hours and not only is Molly still in love with "Beep, beep!" but I've realized we ALL say it now.  "Beep, beep Molly! Mommy needs to open the pantry,"  or "Beep, beep Molly!  Let Sophie get in the the bathtub first,"  or even worse, "Molly say beep, beep instead of kicking Sophie!"  That's right, we were actually encouraging her and teaching her to say those two, innocent little words.  At this point I've decided it is easier to teach all of  you this new courtesy than it is to re-teach Molly.  So please repeat after me, "Beep, beep!"  Please use this polite phrase in any instance that you would usually say, "Excuse me!" and if you are still unsure of its proper use just remember the actual translation is, "Get the heck out of my way!  NOW....please!"

No comments:

Post a Comment