"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Househusband.

Since I left my job about four years ago I've described myself as a student, a mom and so much more, but never have I used the term "housewife" to describe myself.  So yesterday when someone else grouped me with what she called "desperate housewives" I was a little taken aback.  Not offended really, just surprised.  To me the term "housewife" has always seemed a little antiquated.  I feel like it undermines and minimizes all the things that woman do in (and outside of) the home.  Being a "housewife" to me somehow implies that there was no conscious decision made to work in the home versus outside the home.  And, I think we all know that most women who choose not to work outside of the home likely did not come to the decision lightly or without doing some serious soul searching. 

This got me to thinking about the roles that my husband and I have in our home.  Yes, I'm the primary caregiver for our children, I make most of the meals, do all of the grocery shopping, pay all of the bills, do all the laundry and so on, but my husband does his fair share too!  He works full-time, is the primary child "entertainer", does most of the floor mopping and vacuuming, is usually the toilet cleaner and garbage taker-outer.   One of his many nicknames is "Poo-Daddy" because his main responsibility when home is diaper changing, especially the #2 kind.   He is mister fix-it, the house painter and dry-waller, the garage cleaner and....I could keep going but I won't.  My point is that if a housewife is someone who cares for most of the family's needs and tends house too, then I think I've found myself a "househusband" who also happens to work full-time.

I bet most couples are just like us; and as often as we (women) shake our heads in astonishment and annoyance at the mystery that is our husband we probably should be saying, "Thanks!"  Thanks for working full-time, engaging with our children, and helping with chores!  Thanks for evolving from the man of the 1950's to the one who changes a poopy diaper, washes dishes, reads bedtime stories and maybe even buys tampons.  So JD and other hardworking husbands/wives, thanks for everything you do! 

(And honey, you might want to print this, read it carefully and highlight all the tasks you need to add to your honey-do-list because yes I have been speaking womanese.)  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment