"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Encyclopedia of Sleep Positions.

At our house we often discuss the unusual, funny and sometimes uncomfortable sleep positions we find our children in. Over time I've started to wonder if each position is our child's attempt to send us a message. For example:

Curled up tight at the top of the bed right next to the pillows = Hey, I'm freezing! Warmer jammies tomorrow please.

Pressed against the crib rails with legs and arms tangled in them = I tried hard to escape this cage tonight, but I just didn't make it!

Sideways in the crib with head pressed tight against one side and leg sticking out between the rails = I NEED a bigger bed already! Come on guys!

Spread eagle with arms and legs stretched right out = Thanks for the busy day today, guys. I'm extra tired tonight!

And my personal favourite, fetal position with bum right up in the air = Humph, see if I'm going to be nice to you tomorrow! This position also takes on a somewhat cheekier meaning when you have a daughter that likes to wear nightgowns. :-)

How do you perceive your kid's sleep positions? Have any to add or modify? Love to hear them!

3 comments:

  1. To know my child's sleep positions would involve me waking before her and daring to peek in her room and not wake her up? Are you kidding me? My 9 month old is ALWAYS up before us and standing up in the crib, which we take to mean 'get me the hell outa here already'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I wouldn't dare to even touch the doorknob in the morning, but if I'm in the same building as my children I NEVER miss going in for one little look and maybe a kiss if I'm feeling brave right before I go to bed. I even give JD crap if he doesn't...just a tradition around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - I've been know to snap a picture now and then before i go to bed, although that's TOTALLY risking a wake up. But what was I supposed to do? I was too cute!

    ReplyDelete