"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Sunday, September 19, 2010

What Mommies Say.

In making my way deeper into the blog-o-sphere I have come across some really terrific mommy blogs.  Stay-at-home moms, working moms, traveling moms, first-time moms, moms of many, homeschooling moms, and so many more all seem to be out there in the world of blogging.  I have found true pleasure in stumbling across a mommy blog written by someone completely different than me yet having similar experiences parenting their children.  It is grounding and reassuring to know that most of us face the same joys and challenges while navigating the world of kids.  I tip my hat to all those moms out there who are working hard every day to "get it right" in their own way!

Every time I come across a new blog about parenting I am not only struck by the common themes of happiness, joy, frustration, puzzlement and wonder, but by the amount of "mommy talk".  Although, I am happy to find these little gems and feel connected to others, I am also reminded that sometimes we Mommies do ourselves a real disservice by leaving the other parts of ourselves behind.  So many times moms complain that people only seem willing or able to ask them about their children.  I myself have made this very complaint; after all I'm still an intellectual person who tries to be knowledgeable about world events and the community around me.  And yet, many times I find myself only discussing my children or topics somehow related to them.

Here in lies the problem, as much as we want to be recognized as a whole person, an adult, and not just a parent we do ourselves a disservice by bringing most topics back to our children and how the world at large relates to our lives as moms.  I know that I will never stop sharing my children and mommy-life with others because for me it is my MOST important role.  However, I am going to try harder to engage the people around me in conversation that reflects the other parts of me.  After all, if all I put out there for others to see is my mommy-side how will they know that I am more than that?  How will they know that my life is a balancing act of wife, mother, daughter, sister, teacher, student, community member and of course just being me?  Its my job to show them by sharing all of me!

I look forward to continuing to read great mommy-blogs and can't wait to learn all about the whole person that each mommy is!

No comments:

Post a Comment