"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Sunday, May 15, 2011

What Did You Do This Week?

As we age we measure and describe how we spent our week differently.

The teenager, "Huh?  Uh.  School."  That's it, just a few words sums up the week.

The university student, "I had a two killer exams, but I went to the bar Thursday night.  It was wild.  I felt so bad the next day, but we went out for breakfast and ate greasy eggs.  Then we went out the next night, but didn't drink as much because I was saving myself for Saturday night."  The success of the week is measured in bottles, shots, and severity of hangovers.

The working twenty-something, "I travelled for work a few days.  Friday night I went out for dinner with friends and Saturday I shopped.  I got a new pair of shoes and really great jeans."  The week is all about me, my social life and self-indulgence.

The mom, "Nobody was sick this week.  We had four poops in the potty and only two in diapers.  We had swimming lessons, soccer and a school recital.  We spent hours Wednesday night doing homework.  Oh, and Friday we were so tired that everyone was asleep by 8:30 including me."  The week is measured in poop, tears, car pooling, homework, who-hit-who and everything else kid.

Who has time for self-indulgence?  Not me, but I think I'm going to try and get some.  Does anyone know where they sell it?

Edit Note:  I wrote this a few days ago, but I'm posting today after having been out to a Stag and Doe until 2 am last night.  Self-indulgence isn't all its cracked up to be...at least when it resembles that of the activities of a young twenty-something.  Need more sleep, but most now retrieve my children.  Sure to be a long day!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't quite reached your extent of motherhood yet, but I definitely do weigh my weekly activities.

    This is a really nice blog. Thanks for sharing.

    Please come visit us at voiceBoks - The Voice of Motherhood and be part of our new Directory that is set to launch on May 23rd. Also find out what everyone's saying, doing, etc. There, you'll also meet a really great group of wonderful women who love to connect and meet new people.

    Have a lovely week!

    Take Care,

    Lexie Lane
    www.voiceboks.com

    P.S. Please come and join our year long Hop with Hopper Strategized when you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind compliment!

    ReplyDelete