"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Monday, May 9, 2011

Operation Mother's Day Renamed.

I intentionally didn't post a Mother's Day message prior to the special day because I was waiting with cautious optimism to see what the day might bring.  Of course Sunday brought status quo with a side of bloodied, toddler face from a face plant at the playground.  All in all, a lovely day!  (If you could hear me say these words aloud you likely would notice my tone is dripping with sarcasm.)

For the record I am not bah-hum-bugging Mother's Day, nope not at all.  I just think it is time that we ask the "Council of Random and Special Non-Day-Off, Holiday Creators"  (aka greeting card companies) to make some permanent and official changes the tradition of Mother's Day.  I propose the following changes be officially considered by the powers that be:

1)  A day of APPRECIATION.  Mother's Day seems to be a celebration of motherhood.  Moms everywhere dedicate an entire Sunday to receiving lovely homemade gifts, eating wonderful meals and spending unending hours with their children.  Ironically this sounds remarkably like every day in a Mother's life:  hand-drawn, crayon coloured drawings, three meals a day and hours playing, feeding and caring for our children.  Based on these standards I (and many other Mothers) celebrate my motherhood every day, without fail.  So, rather than raise our pom-poms to celebrate each other and our status as Mothers I propose that Mother's Day be one of appreciation only.  Let's appreciate our Mothers by letting them have a day of rest, a day of simple pleasure and (gasp) a day with a few child-free hours.  (At least, until they reach teenage-hood and don't want to spend time with us.  Once our children have reached this age they should be required to spend a few hours with us and participate in any activity of OUR choosing, while pleasantly smiling the entire time.)

2)  Weekdays are better.  That's right, I propose that Mother's Day should fall on a weekday.  (Who ever decided that Mother's Day should fall on a Sunday when every one's children are home from school should be fired!) Not only should it fall on a weekday, but it should be a national holiday for Mothers only.  Children, spouses and all others should be required to attend school and work as per usual.  However Mothers should be granted a day off work, including stay-at-home-Moms who should be offered a day of free childcare from a family member or local daycare provider.

3)  Mom's choice.  Sleeping late, showering for hours, getting dressed or staying in p.j.'s, meals out, spas,  girlfriend lunch - all of it is Mom's choice.  Whatever she says goes with NO compromise, argument or whining from children OR spouse.

4)  A new name.  Mother's Day should be renamed in order to increase clarity of its purpose.  Some of my favourites include:  Mother's Day Off, Mother's Day for Relaxation and Reclaiming of Mental Health, Mother's Sick Day or my personal favourite Mother's Day: That is Right 's is a Possessive, This Day Belongs to Mothers.  I realize that these names are rather long and some people may be concerned about how they will fit in the box on the calendar.  However, I have three solutions.  First, make the font smaller.  Second, (and more appropriate) make the damn boxes bigger because on a daily basis Mother's write and record more than this on one day of their calendar.  Third, don't worry if the little box is filled because technically no one other than Mom is permitted to make plans that day and if the day is hers to plan she won't likely book appointments, play chauffeur or attend any school functions.

If you support any of these proposed changes please sign below and your name will be included on the official submission to the  "Council of Random and Special Non-Day-Off, Holiday Creators" and your local "Husbands Union" for consideration.

Note:  I hope you've enjoyed my tongue-in-cheek take on Mother's Day.  I'm grateful the weather was lovely and my husband did his best to make the day special.  I hope your day was full of hugs, kisses and quiet moments just for you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love this, you read my mind!!!!
    This should be sent out in mass email to all husbands and family members who try to "figure out" what we want on Mothers day!

    ReplyDelete