"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Conversation About Education. Join in!

I started writing a comment on a post I read by April at Heartfelt Homeschooling, and once I'd reached the third paragraph I realized I was going on a bit of rant.  Instead of posting my long-winded opinion on April's blog I thought I would write a response to her post here.   I would encourage you to read her post, "Why would you want to teach?  America has lost its perspective" before reading mine.  I'd like to preface the following by saying that this is just me opinion, not meant to offend or hurt.  My intention is to make you think, make you form an opinion and perhaps start a bigger dialogue among parents about how to influence the track of our education systems.  So, read on and please chat back.

Dear Amy,

This is a very insightful and truthful post.  I am a supply teacher in Canada who had the pleasure of completing my teacher's training in the U.S.  Although the Canadian and American education systems are very different many of their flaws are identical.  Less and less money, bigger and bigger classes, fewer and fewer teachers, higher and higher expectations.  There is a significant imbalance between the input and expected output.

As you mentioned kids move on from grade to grade and course to course regardless of their efforts.  Kids don't "fail" and just being present is enough to progress.  Whether right or wrong I don't know, but I do believe that part of this attitude/approach is sadly closely related to current parenting trends.  So many of us reward and celebrate our kids' just for trying, just for going out.  We register our children for an abundance of activities and tell them it is about having fun and making friends.  Of course all of this is true and good, but it has little to nothing to do with how the real world works.

As adults we aren't paid to just show up for work, have a good time and make some friends.  We are expected to complete tasks, and complete them well.  We are required to meet deadlines, be responsible and held accountable for our actions or lack there of.  Yet, high school students can show up to class each day, hand nothing in, complete no assignments and pass the class at the end of the semester based on perfect attendance.  What's wrong with that picture?

I hesitate to put this out there, but sometimes I think parents are part of the problem.  When my parents grew up, in the 50's and 60's, if their teacher said they weren't achieving what they were capable of their parents (my grandparents) would be on the teacher's 'side'.  They would have expected more homework, more focus, more studying, and improved achievement.  Today when a teacher expresses concern about a child's achievement they have to be politically correct, careful not to offend and avoid all language with negative connotations.  By the time they've expressed their concerns using these rules the problem is so heavily veiled that most parents don't have a clear picture of what the problem is or how serious it may or  may not be.  Be honest now, would you rather a teacher say in politically terms that your child is "output challenged and disengaged" or would you rather them say that your child "isn't completing work and is unfocused."  As a teacher I am required to say the first, but as a parent I would rather hear the second.

Making all of this worse is the current trend to advocate for our children.  Of course it is a parent's duty to fight for the well-being of their children, but it doesn't mean taking our child's 'side' at all cost.  It doesn't mean defending a lack of interest or motivation.  It also doesn't mean defending our child's minimal accomplishment with a label, diagnosis or by attacking a teacher's skills.  I don't know if as a generation of parents we do these things because we are worried about how our childrens' accomplishments reflect on us, but I do know that it isn't always in the best interest of our children.  The truth is there are good teachers and bad teachers, there are studious children and lackadaisical ones, and there are great parents and struggling ones - denying any of this helps no one.  In my (humble) opinion education needs more open dialogue between parents, teachers and administrators.  We are all so busy being politically correct, defending ourselves and walking the line that the true purpose of education sometimes gets lost

You ask, "why would anyone want to be a teacher?"  I often wonder this myself, and worry about whether teaching is for me.  Then I meet a great kid.  A kid who is eager to learn, is friendly, polite and so excited by their own accomplishments.  A kid who takes pride in themselves!  These kids give me the drive, motivation and energy to care for the kids who aren't eager to learn or excited to be at school.  These are the kids that remind me the system might be flawed, but it isn't broken.  These are the kids that make me realize the system is ours to change!

Thank you April at Heartfelt Homeschooling for getting my brain going today and reminding me why I want to be a teacher.  A genuine thank you!

Kind regards,
Sadie

4 comments:

  1. Sadie, I'm interested to know it's a similar situation in Canada. A North American problem is what we have then. I agree that parents are a major issue - they don't have high expectations for their children's performance, but they do for the outcome. Intersting dillema - isn't it? I am truly vexed thinking about what the future generation holds... Thanks for the follow up post!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just typed a really long comment, and when I hit "post",,,, I got an error message!! Are you kidding me??!
    Anyway,, I'm not retyping it, but I wanted to tell you that I agree with EVERYTHING you have said 100%!!
    I also wanted to Thank you for wanting to be a teacher. People like you, make great teachers. The kind of teacher that I hope my girls get one day.
    Lord knows I couldn't do the job, so I'm thankful for people like you who can, and who love it!!!
    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post and very good points! My dad is a teacher in Jr. High and he was actually reprimanded by a principal at his old school for failing too many students. My dad tried to explain that those students weren't doing the work, therefore didn't deserve passing grades, but -for the schools- its all about test scores and how many students pass. Its sad and ridiculous.
    Found you off VB- following you now. Stop by my page anytime!
    ~SortaSuperMom
    http://confessionsfromboystown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I wish more people were genuinely interested in all the things going on in education and wanted to spend time getting educated about education. It would make a big difference for teachers and most importantly students!

    ReplyDelete