"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Monday, July 4, 2011

Buggy Buggers.

Summer really feels like it has started now.  We just spent three days at a family cottage and had a great time.  The weather was great, the bugs were REALLY bad, there was too much food, unexpected and lovely fireworks and so much fun.

Only sore point this weekend was the bugs.  The mosquitoes were the worst I have ever seen.  There were so many outside it was impossible for them not to be inside too.  My poor Sophie is so sensitive to bug bites that I actually am feeling guilty.  Not only do the bugs love her - for every one bite I have she has five - BUT she has a horrible reaction to them.  The bites sometimes blister, swell, bruise and of course they are itchy so then she scratches making it all worse.  She has reacted this way since she was little so this year I was bound and determine to battle the bugs on her behalf.  I packed extra bug spray, bandages, and children's antihistamine for allergic reactions.  We kept her in at buggiest times, sprayed her with bug spray and made her wear pants and long sleeves even when it was too warm.  Aside from keeping her inside all weekend we did everything we could, and still she must have a dozen bug bites on one shoulder blade alone.  The bites are so bad that a mother in the grocery store even asked me if she has chicken pox!  :-(  This made me feel really bad and for a split second I wanted to say yes because anyone seeing here would honestly think I'd left her naked in a boggy swamp at dusk for hours.  Poor Sophie!

Needless to say we are headed to the doctor later this week, but my gut instinct is that there is nothing he can do.  It is what it is and Sophie will be restricted to the indoors during mosquito season.  Bug spray, clothing, antihistamine, Polysporine, Benadryl (both topical and oral), bandages and still she scratches.  Every time I see her scratch I feel worse.  I've cancelled our camping plans for a week from now and I'm just hoping the bites heal quickly.  Making things worse, Sophie asked if she ever going to be allowed outside again.......

12 comments:

  1. Poor Sophie!!! The doctor may be able to perscribe some medicine to help. My son is highly alergic to almost everything and I find the cocktail of singular and Zrytek as helped, I bet there is something that must work on bug bites as well, I'd hate to think the only soultion is to keep her in the whole summer. You were proably right to cancel the camping trip, it just might not be the right time for her to be around the bugs!!! Motherhood is such a hard job!!! I hope she feels better!! You are a great mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Sophie! I agree that a visit to the doctor may help. I sure hate to think of her being stuck inside all the time! Poor kiddo!


    Christina

    P.S. Visiting from voiceBoks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those bites. So sad that you cancelled your camping plans but all for good. This is to tell how far a mother can go for the well being of her child.
    Visiting and following you from voiceBoks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of all God's creations, I think the mosquito is the most purposeless one...hope Sophie is feeling better. Maybe next time she can wear an astronaut suit, let's see one of those suckers(literally) get through that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I feel for you!! Gracie reacts so badly to bites.. She's outgrown it a bit, but they swell up and take over her whole body.. not fun!
    Let us know what the doctor says!!! It's so hard when it happens to the kids and there is no good way to explain it to them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is too bad, have you tried Skin So Soft yet? That seemed to repel those nasty buggers and it isn't a poison. Hope they disappear soon.

    Following you from VoiceBoks!~Lisa
    I am all a twitter about life
    Find Me on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. OUCH! No fun!

    Stopping by from voiceBoks!

    Good luck this week!
    Steph
    www.alwaysjustamom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I hope Sophie is ok. We're having the opposite problem. My oldest DOESN'T want to go to the pool these days. Ugh, it's hot! http://homesandbabies.blogspot.com Becky from VB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck.

    Stopping by from voiceBoks!
    Please follow me at:
    http://princess-liya.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! I'm the exact same way. My hubby and I went to Hawaii a few years ago, and I literally had a SWARM of biting flies all over me in the arboretum, while they completely ignored him.

    At a convenience store later that day, where I was shopping for medication to ease the discomfort of my swollen, discolored, bruised legs (they got the worst of it, as I wasn't as adept at swatting the flies there), a woman behind me actually shouted "Oh my GOD!!! What happened to your LEGS??"

    I just explained that bugs find me yummy. My husband was untouched. I totally sympathize with Sophie.

    I bought something called Skeeter Stick recently which actually really seems to help with the itch... my son even got poison and it stopped him from scratching the blisters. I highly recommend it.

    Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'm following you!

    Smiles, Jenn
    www.misadventuresinmotherhood.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh.. I do hope she's feeling a little better, poor thing :( I'm following..
    Jackie from VB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor thing! Must be because she's so sweet, even though that's no real consolation.

    ReplyDelete