"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Kindergarten!

Thank goodness the kindergarten program is two-years because I'm not ready for my little girl to be a "big kid". With very few days left in her Junior Kindergarten year I will happily take my oldest daughter to her first day of Senior Kindergarten next fall. I'm just not ready for her to leave my imagined kindergarten safety zone.

I've just come home from her year-end kindergarten performance. It was everything that school performances usually are: comical, sweet, goofy and charming. All the kids did a great job. I loved watching my daughter singing her heart out while making every over-the-top face she possible could. So funny!

All that said, it was another one of life's moments that offered an opportunity for reflection. She has changed so much over this school year. She is able to count higher, print her name with ease, knows most of the letters of the alphabet and some numbers too. She loves to print, paint and draw. Where she used to scribble she now draws people, faces, rainbows and flowers. She has grown and flourished, but as I reflect I also am looking ahead.

What will the next year bring? Will she be reading? Writing more words? By this time next year she will be leaving the play-happy, safety of kindergarten for the unknown world of first grade. Yikes! My kids are growing up way too fast! I wish I knew who pressed the fast forward button so I could bribe them into playing life in slow motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment