"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Birthday Baby!

(Warning: this post is a bit of a ramble. Lots of jumbled thoughts!)

Well, we made it! Our baby is a whole year old (plus a few days now)!

We had a busy lead up to her first birthday - switched to whole milk, a size bigger in diapers and she is officially walking. All these changes in the four days before her birthday. It literally seems like overnight my baby turned into a toddler. I find myself caught off guard when she walks across the room to wrap her arms around my legs. So sweet!

As happy as I am to watch her grow and change, I'm a little sad too. At 11pm on the night before her birthday I crept into her room and grabbed her up for a few more baby cuddles in the last hour before she turned a year old. Of course the cuddles were so nice that I cuddle too long and she woke up. My husband wasn't all that impressed, but he grabbed some cuddles too. Something so lovely about baby cuddles in the dark of night.

So there the three of us were cuddled in bed together in the middle of the night and I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that she may be our last baby. We haven't made any final decisions, but the reality of the world is that two children may be our financial limit. As a result I'm trying to cherish all of these moments.

On the day of her birthday she was such a good girl. She visited, ate cake, opened presents and happily enjoyed the attention, or most of it anyways! It was a great day and now a few days later she is obviously still the same baby, but somehow different. A big girl. A growing girl. But still my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment