"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sometimes the small things....

....mean the most. My favourite hug from my husband happens when I least expect it. Washing dishes, prepping dinner, making school lunches...he sneaks up from behind for a hug and neck nuzzle. I love that because the quick cuddle is unexpected it feels more genuine. These little hugs mean a lot.

I'm emptying the dishwasher, my husband is eating breakfast and we are chatting about our plans for the day. I eventually sit down to eat my breakfast and when I get up to put my dishes in the dishwasher I find my huband's sitting on the counter. He did JUST watch me empty the dishwasher, right???

You know that moment when you are just barely awake, your brain is feeling fuzzy and you sense a good dream coming on. That's usually when my husband reaches over to give my hand a squeeze. One last little touch to say, "I love you" before drifting off. A favourite of mine.

Laundry is done and folded. I've put all my husband's clothes into one hamper and filled it - he had a lot. Then the hamper sat, and sat, and sat. The laundry sat folded for so long that the next two times I did his laundry I was able to add to it. Why did it sit so long? It sat there because my lovely husband said he was going to put it away. I reminded and asked a few times, but not wanting to be a nag I let it go. I let it go for FOUR weeks, until finally I dumped it all on the floor on his side of the bed. I needed the damn hamper back!

Neck kisses, back rubs, a wink across a busy room, a small and unexpected compliment; they all make me love my husband more.

Snoring, asking "What DID you do all day?", never going grocery shopping and then saying the fridge is full of nothing; they all make me leave the room with a grimace.

All the small things, both good and bad, can mean so much. The bad ones add up and add up, until I loose it (like dumping laundry all over the floor). The good ones add up and up, until you think maybe you can't love any more. Somehow there is always one more small thing...and it always means a lot.

P.S. To My Husband - When you finally read my blog know that I love you, even when you drive my crazy. And yes, I realize for every one habit you have that drives me crazy I probably have two. S

No comments:

Post a Comment