"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Thursday, April 8, 2010

All By Myself.

This week my husband returned to working rotating shifts, and I am quickly remembering why I admire single parents. The last 48 hours have been a whirlwind!

Wednesday:
6:40 am, get cleaned up and organized before girls are up.
7:00 am, nurse baby.
7:15 am, get dressed, make-up, and everyone downstairs for breakfast.
7:40 am, babysitter arrives out the front door.
8:10 am to 3:15 pm, working.
3:35 pm, out of work clothes and gearing up for another night on my own.
3:40 pm, get everyone's clothes ready for tomorrow, cleaning kitchen, tidying living room, start dinner, quick email check, chat with husband, baby up from nap, change diaper, still working on dinner.
4:15 pm, sit down for a few minutes, say good-bye to husband, feed baby.
4:50 pm, dinner, clean-up, make lunches for tomorrow and play time.
5:30 pm, everyone in the bathtub, story time, and early bedtime.
6:30 pm, shower for me.
6:50 pm, baby needs cuddles and back to bed.
7:00 pm, pack up treats for school party tomorrow, collect library books and pack school bag, wash bottles, run dishwasher, and send oldest back to bed multiple times.
8:00 pm, silence, vegging in front of TV.
9:15 pm, Tylenol and bed.
Sometime after 3:30 am, husband home from work, in bed and snoring. I lie awake and listen. Until I can't take it anymore! WHACK!!! Silence.

Thursday:
6:40 am, Let's do it all again!

When my husband works nights and I work too the days blur together. I can't remember if I hugged the girls today or said, "I love you.". I'm sure I did, but I still can't remember. And, when was the last time I had a drink or went to the bathroom? Lunch time at work (I think), and now its 10pm. I'm lucky enough to have a partner, I don't work every day and my girls are very well-behaved. Now I imagine what life would be like if I did work every day or I was single. Wow! I feel overwhelmed, exhausted and on the verge of tears just thinking about it. And yet, there are parents out there who are on their own EVERY day and do it VERY well. Hats off to them, and keeping my complaints in check! I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment