"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Have your people call my people."

Picture this: It is the 1940's and Hollywood's movie industry is just starting to shine. Glamour abounds and everyone wants to be a movie star. One of these young hopefuls is meeting with a big shot movie producer. As the meeting comes to an end the young man leans forward through the thick cigar smoke and says, "It was nice to meet you! Be sure to have your people call my people to set something up!" He scribbles a telephone number below the name Sue on a piece of paper and leaves it for the producer.

As the young man leaves the office he is excited and thrilled by the prospect of being in a movie, but why did he have to be so bold at the end. The whole way home all he can do is worry about how this is all going to play out. At his front door he takes a deep breath, walks in and calls out, "Hey Honey! I'm home." His wife comes from the kitchen and asks how the meeting went. "It was really great, but Sue you've got to do me a big favour!" he says.

Fast forward almost 70 years to today: My husband and his best friend stand chatting about what's new, holidays and any remaining summer plans. Then my husband says, "What are you up to next week? If you guys are going to be around we should try to do dinner one night." His friend agrees and then they both look to me. "Honey, wouldn't it be great to do dinner next week? We don't have any plans, right?" says my husband. Followed by his friend, "Yeah, I'm sure we can work something out. Can't we, Sadie?" Both now look at me expectantly.

Translation: My husband is essentially saying, "I'll have my 'people' call your 'people'!" And, in this instance 'people' usually refers to wife. Some things never change. With each decade since the 1950s it is very true that men have had an increasing roll in family life, but for some reason women are still the organizers, ultimate secretaries, and full-on life assistants. Not that I'm complaining because I have a funny feeling that if my husband were to plan a dinner date with friends the plans would somehow be very muddled. But why the veiled conversation? Come on guys just come out with it and say, "I'll have my lovely wife call your lovely wife to organize something because I have NO clue what our schedule is or if we already have plans."

Its funny how a man can be a great husband and wonderful father, but is seemingly incapable of keeping dentist appointments, calling the doctor, arranging plans with friends (unless it involves a sport of some kind) and remembering their children's various activities. Well, guess what Sweetheart? We have a colour coded calendar for a reason! I'm looking forward to hearing all about the dinner plans. It should be a fun evening!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha...I should read this more often. So I think we are having dinner this coming week right? But I have no idea what the plan is...do you think our lovely husband will work out the final details? Oh MEN...please let my little boy be different, please, please, please...

    ReplyDelete