"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Monday, October 17, 2011

The Trials and Tribulations of the Tooth Fairy.

Little did I know when I set out on this crazy adventure of motherhood that my first encounter with the Tooth Fairy would be like watching a trashy afternoon soap opera.

Opening Scene:
"Mommy! My tooth is loose!"
"No way! Let me see..."
Scan tooth. Close-up of wiggle.
"Well, let's hope it doesn't fall out before tomorrow."
"Why?"
"It is picture day at school!"
Tune ominous music.

Next day:
An uneventful day plays out at school. Photos are taken and tooth is still intact.
"Lovely smile!" says the photographer.
Another close-up of smile and then tooth.

Scene change:
Arriving home from school. Regular after-school, pre-dinner activities ensue.
"Mommmmeeeeee!"
"What? Are you hurt?"
"My tooth fell out! My toooottthhhh felllll ooouuuuuttttt!"
"Let's see. Yup your tooth fell out. Where is it?"
"Here."
Scan to tooth stuck to sweaty five-year-old hand.
"That's exciting. Now the tooth fairy will come!"
"Yep, and she isn't going to bring me money."
"Sure, she will."
"No. Annie got a 'My Little Pony' from the Tooth Fairy."
"She did?!?!?" Pan to Mommy's face, revealing surprise, worry and a load of WHAT???? Since when does the Tooth Fairy leave anything more than $2.

Cut to next scene:
"I can't eat dinner."
"Why not?"
"I have no tooth."
"We are having soup and sandwiches. I think you will be able to eat dinner."
"I guess. I'll just eat on one side."
"Good idea. Want to call Grandma or Nana and tell them?"
"No," and lots of tears. Next 10 minutes are spent crying over lost tooth.

Final scene, hours after bedtime:
Loud sobbing can be heard from upstairs.
"What's wrong?"
"I don't want my tooth to go."
"What?"
"I don't want the Tooth Fairy to take my tooth."

Big sigh.....

2 comments:

  1. This has all the good elements of theater -- scene changes, drama, interesting characters!

    So, did the tooth fairy take the tooth? Or leave it behind with a note of explanation that My Little Ponies are not always the "prize" for a lost tooth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Bracing myself for this kind of drama in the future.

    ReplyDelete