"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Classroom Bully - Part 2

Following up to the bullying story from yesterday I decided to speak to Sophie's teacher.  I know kids can be mean, but I just feel like it is never okay for any child to come home from school crying.

Sophie's teacher was really receptive and said she is aware of a few issues among students in her class, but hadn't noticed Sophie having a problem.  She said she would be watching to see if someone was giving her a hard time and let me know if she felt Sophie was having an on going problem or if it was just a time incident.  She was really disappointed that Sophie didn't feel comfortable coming to talk to her and said she thought she might talk to the class about the difference between telling on a bully and tattle-taling.  I'm so glad I spoke to the teacher.  Even though there wasn't anything she could do and there was no real resolution it was really nice to know that she cares and wants the best for all her students.  So many teachers are disengaged and disconnected from their students these days and it is a true gift to find a passionate, engaged and genuinely interested teacher.  I think we are all feeling really positive about Sophie's upcoming adventures in first grade.  We can't wait to watch Sophie grow and flourish over the next ten months!

Thank you for all the comments.  Bullying touches so many people and I would encourage anyone who is interested to visit the following websites for more information:

Pink Shirt Day - Against Bullying
Roots of Empathy
Bullying Canada
Stop Bullying
Registry of Anti-Bullying Programs

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow today. You made the right decision. I too was in this predicament many years ago (my son is now 16) and with boys, it can honestly be worse if you "say something" because then they become mama's boy, etc. I had to get into the middle of it because my child was getting hurt by this kid and he has always been much smaller than the other kids. Sadly, they ended up having to bring up the other mother because her kid just didn't get that no mean no and after meeting her, I knew exactly where this child got it from. It was very sad because in their house, bullying seemed to be a way of life. I am glad the teacher stepped up for you and is taking Sophie under her wing. THAT is a great teacher and should be recognized for going above and beyond because there are so many out there that won't or don't want to get involved. Good luck to you all.
    Lisa
    http://mamalousgems.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing for Sohpie to have such a smart mommy and teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that she has an involved teacher-- there's not many left :) It's good that she decided to talk to the entire class, because I'm sure there's more than your little girl that might feel the same way.

    awesome update

    visiting from VB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you talked to the teacher and made her aware that there could be a problem.

    ReplyDelete