"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Tired Week.

This has been one of those week....loooooong!!!  I still can't believe it is only Thursday evening.  The company JD works for is facing some challenges and as a result they are shutting down production a few times over the few weeks.  Although it is nice that JD will have few extra days off we are feeling high stress about the pay he will miss out on.  With our finances a mess and our debt really mounting for the first time ever in our marriage I'm trying to pick-up the slack by accepting every supply teach job that comes my way.  I am happy to work and like feeling like I'm pulling my weight financially, but life certainly is simpler when I only work a few days a week instead of every day.  I know that most families have two working parents and is during weeks like these that I really appreciate all they do for their families.

Adding to the craziness, JD is working nights this week and Molly is really ramping up the terrible-two's  tantrums.  I can deal with JD working nights.  I can deal with Molly throwing herself on the floor and screaming.  I can even deal with spending three days in kindergarten and the fourth in seventh grade.  But, put it all together and my mind and body are screaming for peace.  I'm actually writing this post and counting the minutes until I can tell Sophie to go to bed, and trying to decide if there is a feasible excuse to get out of bedtime reading because I have read what feels-like a thousand storybooks to two-million kids the same age as her.

In a nutshell I'm impressed by families that successfully manage unusual work schedules, teachers who successfully parent their own children (especially when they are the same age as their students), and single parents who raise their children and manage any degree of sanity.  So parents, how do you do?  How do you manage it all?  The end goal has always been to supply teach until I'm able to find a permanent position as a teacher, but after a week like this I appreciate the flexibility and convenience of supply teaching.  I appreciate that my job bends for my family and not the other way around!

No comments:

Post a Comment