"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Monday, April 4, 2011

Slipper Lubrication.

Sunday was suppose to be MY day to sleep-in and JD's day to conquer breakfast and morning child entertainment.  My turn to rest, until Molly the Marvelous-Mess-Maker made an appearance.

The girls woke like normal, Sophie entering our bedroom to tell us she was hungry and Molly standing at the gate calling, "Mom, Ma, Momma, Mommmmeeeeee, Mum, Ma.......Daddy?"  I was so grateful when JD rolled out of bed and closed the bedroom door.  I shifted, repositioned, pulled the blankets up and settled in for my hour of self-indulgence.  As sleep began to return I could hear JD saying, "What is this? What did you do?"  Soon after the water started to run in the bathroom (never a good sign before 9 am) and JD popped his head in the door, "YOUR daughter got into the Vaseline!"  Oh crap!  Crappity, crappity, crap!  Clearly he was telling me to get-up and get-up NOW.

 JD discovered the greasy-mess when he tried to change Molly's diaper.  When he first went to see her she was chatting on happily about the slippers on her feet.  He thought nothing of it, but this was the first warning sign that something was up.  We don't put her to bed with slippers on and this particular pair would not be easy for her to get on by herself.  He pulled the slippers off her feet, then took her pants off and grabbed her feet to change her diaper.  Trouble was her feet were totally slimy!  It took a few minutes, but finally he realized that she had gotten the Vaseline down and then used it to grease-up her feet and slide on the difficult slippers.  Marvelous-Mess-Maker-Molly had managed to pull a small basket from the third-shelf in her closet, picture it above her head height.  (How she got it down we will never know!)  She removed the lid from the Vaseline and spread it all over the container, her hands, one cheek, both feet and the slippers.

With Molly in the tub, I began the hunt in her room to discover all petroleum jelly and wipe it up.  Thankfully (I think), she had used it mostly as slipper lube and body cream so the clean-up was quick.  I even noted to JD that her leather hand-me-down, Robeez slippers looked like brand-new.  Clean-up done, and Molly de-greased JD shooed me back to bed.  Of course all was lost, sleep was gone and after 20 minutes of tossing and turning my Sunday morning sleep-in came to a premature end.  Now its Monday night and I'm desperately looking forward to next Sunday morning....without the Vaseline that is!  One hour, just one extra hour of peaceful sleep.  From my lips to Marvelous-Mess-Maker-Molly's ears!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my!!! As someone said to me today,, "you will laugh at this SOME DAY!"..
    At least our lives are always exciting!
    My hubby gives me weekend sleep in time as well, and there is nothing better!! Hoping you get a better sleep this weekend!

    ReplyDelete