"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What's Your Passion?

JD and I had a wonderful day on Sunday...and the whole day was about ME!   How's that for self-indulgence?!?!

JD and I frequently have the same frustrating conversation about having a passion in life.  JD has many passions that all involve physical activity and sport, but mine on the other hand are a little more mundane and quiet.  Since our interests are so different he often struggles to see my likes as being self-defining the way his athletic pursuits are.  As a result our conversation usually sounds something like this:

Me, "I want more time to do things I like and I would like to feel like you support me."
JD, "I am happy to support you in whatever your passions are, but what are they?  You don't like biking or running or anything like that, so what is your passion?"  (Note that JD is the one that uses the term passion.  I would just say I have hobbies or favourite pass times, but for JD it is sort of an all or nothing scenario.)
Me, "Huh, I shouldn't have to tell you what my 'passions' are after being together so long!"  (Oh, oh!  Turning into an argument! Lose the attitude!)
JD, "Well I know you like to read, but how can I support you in that.  Take the girls and leave you alone for an afternoon?"
Me, "Well, yes!"  (And, that usually puts a quick end to the discussion which will likely occur again, word-for-word, in a few days.)

In a lovely turn of events, JD arranged for our little ladies to spend the day with his parents and we went to an art gallery that I have been wanting to go to for a long time.  Although the gallery is small and only took about two hours to tour, the whole day turned in to a great chance to reconnect.  It was about an hours drive to the gallery which offered a great chance to talk.  The art was wonderful and it was really fun talking about what we liked and didn't like about all the pieces.  After the gallery, more driving as we tried to find some where to have lunch (which was again an adventure).  In the end we spent almost the whole day alone together, and we both realized we couldn't remember the last time we spent THAT much time just the two of us.  Very much time well spent!

The most important thing is that I felt validated and like my interests hold value.  I also recognized that although our interests are so different and don't easily include the other person it is important we figure out ways to do just that.  Who knows, maybe before long we will join a book club and mountain biking club together!  (Did I mention that JD really hates to read and I can't even ride a bike!  This could get interesting! lol)  In the end we both have share the same "number one passion" - our family.  Biking, reading, and the other stuff takes a backseat to just being together as a family, parents and a couple!

No comments:

Post a Comment