"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Monday, October 4, 2010

Now entering the Twilight Zone...

...otherwise known as Parent School Council.  Sophie started at a brand-spanking new school this year which has many pros and cons.  One of the most obvious cons is the big empty school yard screaming for a playground, or even the large, barely stocked library desperate for more books to fill its shelves.  In an attempt to be a committed and dutiful parent I started thinking about joining Parent School Council over the summer months, and as the school year approached it occurred to me that joining council could serve me well as a supply teacher.  Since I am hoping to one day be lucky enough to be hired as a permanent, full-time teacher council seemed like a great way to build contacts with the principal, vice-principal and other teachers.  One month in and a few meetings down I've not only become a general member, but I belong to the fundraising committee and I'm making excellent parent and professional contacts.  Success!  Or is it?

I've always known that Parent School Councils are an interesting social phenomenon in and of themselves, but I completely underestimated the social dynamics of adults "doing what is best for their children".  Council is sort of like kids in the school yard being limited to a small 10 by 10 fenced area, required to pick teams for dodge ball, and all the while eating cotton candy and drinking litres of soda.  Everyone comes to the table with an idea of "what is best for their kid", but many people forget that the goal is "what is best for most kids".  As a result, their is agenda pushing, side choosing, and even a little bit of bullying.  I'm not saying that the adults on School Council actually argue or call each other names, but there definitely are "cool kids" who steer council in the direction that all the "cool kids" agree on.  I've yet to determine if and, or how I fit in with the "cool kids".  I'm not even sure if I want to fit in!  However, I'm committed now so with eyes squeezed shut and my blinders on I'm joining the game.  I've never been very good at dodge ball, but I love cotton candy so maybe the other kids will like me!

All that aside, I am adding one more challenge to our already busy family schedule but I'm very hopefully that joining council will allow me to help make Sophie's school experience the best it can be; while giving my professional life a little boost.  Be a joiner, go to Parent School Council!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment