"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Monday, May 31, 2010

My Very Own Bright Star!

I am warning you know that this post is a big brag fest. So if you don't want to hear me go on and on about how gifted my child is, stop reading now! ;-)

Against my wishes and better judgment my husband frequently watches rather grown-up movies with my daughter. He enjoys fantasy-type books and movies, and likes to share them with her. Two of his better (yet mature) selections have been the "Narnia" series movies and "A Wrinkle in Time", both by Disney. Although I am convinced that these movies are slightly above her understanding and likely a little scary for a four and half year old, I do have to admit that she is taking something away from them.

While riding in the car today she explained to me how "A Wrinkle in Time" reminded her of the "Narnia" movies because the people in them get trapped in a different world. She continued to tell me that in both movies the different world started out very nice and special, then turned bad and scary, but in the end everyone is happy and safe. When I asked for more details she told me about the war and fighting in Narnia and compared that to the dark, scary place the characters travel to in "A Wrinkle in Time". All of her comparisons were of course simple and in her own four-year-old language, but they were concise, accurate and sometimes quite clever.

(Here comes the bragging part.) I was sort of blown away. As a student teacher and supply teacher I know that there is an ongoing effort to encourage children of all ages to make connections between texts, a variety of media sources, and real-life experiences. I also know that teaching children to relate, compare and contrast stories and experiences can be a challenge at all grade levels. And here was my four-year-old prattling on about these two movies and how they were the same. So after giving my husband grief about letting our little girl watch movies that I deemed to be inappropriate I am wondering if they have actually helped her little brain to stretch and grow. Amazing to watch these bright little stars that are our children get brighter! Can't wait to see what conversations tomorrow brings. (Bragging over.)

No comments:

Post a Comment