"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Friday, November 19, 2010

What's in the Bag?

(Warning:  This is 100% a complaining post.  Not in the mood for whining?  Then look away now.)

Picture this:  Friday afternoon after work, and I'm rushing to the drug store in an attempt to pick-up a few things before I need to get the girls from the babysitters.  My mission is to be in and out as quick as possible.  My shopping list includes:  tampons, maxi pads, zit cream, frozen pizza because we have NOTHING in the house for dinner, toilet paper and a treat to kill the sweets-craving that comes with my monthly visitor.  I achieved my goal of being quick, and with overflowing arms (because I opted for no basket or buggy in my haste) I dropped my items onto the checkout counter.  I paid for everything and then realized I'd made the dreaded bag mistake.  That's right, I forgot to ask for a plastic bag.  Since we pay for our plastic shopping bags in my community I was out of luck having already paid for my order.

I fully support the use of re-usable shopping bags and I think that paying for plastic shopping bags is a great idea.  However, from time to time I don't have a bag with me and I would like a plastic one.  Of course it is always on these occasions that I forget to ask for one, I've paid and now I'm hauling things to the car in my arms.  No big deal really, but today I really wish the cashier had been thoughtful enough to ask if I wanted a bag before she checked me out.  After all, as another woman I would hope that my purchase of feminine hygiene products, acne medicine and sweet treats might make her realize that I'm probably feeling a little on the grouchy side and that in moment of empathy she might offer me a bag not just for the convenience, but for the sake of privacy.  But no such offer or reminder to purchase was made (and I wasn't about to try and figure which card to use to pay for a 5 cent bag since I had no cash), so I carefully balance my "girl-purchases" on the frozen pizza and made my way to car being even more cautious not to drop anything or make eye contact with passersby.  No wondering what was in my shopping bag because it was all out in its full glory for everyone to see.  Yes - I'm grumpy, PMSing, craving crappy food and not in the mood to talk.  So, watch out because here I come!

By the way, did I mention that after all that I forget to buy the toilet paper!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment