"The Tightrope Walker"

"The Tightrope Walker" by Jean-Louis Forain

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Living Legacy.

It occurred to me this evening as Sophie and I made chocolate chip cookies for Santa Claus that baking with my own mother is one of my favourite memories.  Being the oldest, just like Sophie, meant that I was often the chosen assistant and my Mom and I had lots of opportunities to do something just the two of us.  I hope that Sophie feels the same way I do about these small windows of time spent together.

I guess I've always known, but just recently I am truly realizing the importance of childhood memories.  As parents we build, in essence, a living legacy for our children to take forth into their adult lives.  All of these little memories of growing up form our perspective as adults of some of the most important relationships we will ever have - including being parents ourselves.  I am reminded of how essential it is to be a well-rounded person not only for myself, but as a role model for Sophie and Molly.

So I am setting out to answer this:  What do I what my children's childhood memories to be?  What do I want my living legacy for my children to be?

Now you try:  Do you know how you want your children to perceive and remember growing  up?

No comments:

Post a Comment